In this article, I’ll uncover whether or not alkaline water is actually beneficial. This is an interesting topic because a lot of people are going out and getting all this alkaline water, paying a lot of money for it in hopes of getting all the health benefits that it has to offer or all the health benefits it supposedly has to offer.
So, what I am going to do in this article is talk about some of the different benefits that alkaline water is supposed to offer you and then also talk about what the research is saying and then at the end of this article, I’ll give my final thoughts on alkaline water. So, when we look at water in general, on the PH scale, basically 0 is going to be very acidic and 14 is going to be very alkaline.
Now, regular water just basically falls in at a ph of 7. Tap water is a little more acidic, while spring water is slightly more alkaline. Alkaline water is going to be somewhere between 8 and 9 1/2 typically, and so basically it’s more alkaline on the ph scale, which is designed to actually help and make your body more alkaline as well.
Now, some of the benefits that alkaline water is supposedly offering us is, first of all, weight loss. The theory here is that basically when you’re drinking alkaline water, it’s going to make your body more alkaline, which of course is going to allow for your body to break down fat. Now basically the theory here is that if you’re more acidic and you can’t actually tap into those fat stores and break down that fat when you’re trying to lose weight.
So that’s why alkaline water is supposed to help with that and also is supposed to help boost your immune system and then also balance your ph. Now, there are definitely some truth to this. If you’re someone who’s more acidic, it’s going to help bring you more alkaline, so it’s going to help balance your ph out a bit. Cancer prevention – there’s really no studies out there that show that there’s going to be a cancer prevention effect from alkaline water, but the idea is that if your body is more acidic, then cancer thrives in it and if you make your body more alkaline than just going to starve out the cancer there.
And then of course better hydration, which there is research to back that up. Now when we look at alkaline water, basically the Mayo Clinic says there is no benefit to drinking that, just stick to regular water, and I have to agree that if we’re just trying to keep things simple, sticking to regular water is going to be the way to go, but alkaline water does have some proven benefits. Let’s talk about a couple of studies. So, one study basically found that it actually deactivates pepsin. Pepsin is the enzyme that is responsible for acid reflux, and so the pepsin enzyme is associated with acid reflux.
Drinking alkaline water is going to deactivate it, therefore helping with the acid reflux. Now, here’s the deal with that is that it is a short-term solution to a long-term problem because if you were to continue drinking alkaline water as a matter of fact what it could do is go in and make acid reflux worse, just like taking antacids. Once again, it’s going to give you short term relief, but continue to have a long-term problem because what happens is that when the stomach becomes too alkaline, then it just doesn’t function properly and that’s when you get that acid reflux flaring up.
So, once again it’s going to deactivate pepsin. It’s going to give you a short-term solution to acid reflux, but certainly not a long-term one. The second study was done by the International Association of Sports Nutrition. What they did is that they took 100 adults, 50 men, 50 women, and what they did is they put them through a workout. They’re in a dehydrated state, and then they figured out what water actually helped hydrate them better. The marker they were actually looking at his blood viscosity. What was found is that alkaline water actually improved blood viscosity.
So, when we look at actually rehydrating the body properly, it certainly is a win, and alkaline water is going to support with that whole process more so than regular water. In the third study I am going to discuss it really needed more evidence, but what they found is that it may support reversing high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol.
And so, when we look at alkaline water in general, you know everything in moderation. We don’t want to be consuming tons of alkaline water because what will happen is you’re actually going to make your stomach more alkaline and as a result, you’re going to open the gateway for a lot of things to happen in your gut. That you don’t want like promote bacterial overgrowth, and just a complete imbalance.
So, we have to be careful with that. We don’t want to be drinking alkaline water all day. Now the other thing is that we have proof here that it does help with hydration, but a couple of things that you can do in order to save a couple dollars is, first of all, squeezing a lemon and some water is going to help make your body more alkaline. I will discuss more on lemon water in the next section below. And the idea behind that is even though the lemon is more acidic, after you break that lemon down, after you digest it, it will make the body more alkaline because it breaks down and actually supports alkalinity.
The next is going to be putting an 1/8 of a tablespoon of baking soda in an eight-ounce glass of water. And that’s also going to help with the alkalinity as well. So, you can do that. And then lastly, what you can do is use ph drops. And using PH drops once again, is going to be a way to make alkaline water. And these three methods are going to be a way to actually make it right in the comfort of your home for much less money than you’re going to be able to buy it in the store for. So anyway, if you have any further questions on this topic, go ahead and put it in the comment section below.
Alkaline Water Alternatives: Lemon water
Lemon water is an excellent alternative to pure alkaline water. If you are looking to alter your PH in a safe an effective manner, take lemon in water especially in the morning.
Lemon water every morning: 10 benefits. The alkaline nature of vitamin C helps maintain healthy, radiant skin from the inside, eliminating the bacteria responsible for acne. Lemons have many beneficial properties for health that have been recognized for centuries.
The two main ones are on the one hand their powerful anti-bacterial and antiviral action and on the other hand their effectiveness to stimulate the immune system.
It is also used in diets. You can also drink lemon water. Indeed, lemon juice is also digestive. It is finally a good depurative for the liver. Lemons contain many substances, especially citric acid, calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, bioflavonoids, pectin and limonene that strengthen the body’s defences and fight infections.
How should lemon water be prepared? You must use mineral water that must be warm and not boiling. The water must not be cold because our body assimilates it slowly and it has to spend more energy to assimilate the icy water than the warm water.
Always use fresh lemons, preferably organic, and never bottled lemon juice.
Squeeze 1/2 lemon in a glass of water to drink on waking and fasting.
The benefits of lemon water.
- It facilitates digestion. Lemon juice promotes the elimination of waste and toxins . Thanks to its atomic composition similar to that of saliva and hydrochloric acid digestive juices, it stimulates the liver to produce bile, an acid necessary for digestion. Lemons are also rich in minerals and vitamins. They reduce toxins in the gastrointestinal tract. The digestive properties of lemon juice relieve the symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, discharge and abdominal distension. The ‘ American Cancer Society recommends that cancer patients to drink hot lemon water to stimulate bowel movements.
- It depicts the urinary system because it is diuretic. Lemon juice also promotes waste disposal because it increases the amount of urine in the body. So when you drink lemon juice, the toxins are eliminated more quickly and the urinary tract stays healthy. The citric acid of lemons activates the function of the enzyme that stimulates the liver and allows it to detoxify itself.
- It stimulates the immune system. With the amount of vitamin C it contains, lemon is used to strengthen the immune system. Lemon is rich in vitamin C. It is therefore very useful for fighting colds. It is rich in potassium and stimulates the brain and the nervous system. Potassium also helps control blood pressure. The ascorbic acid (vitamin C) that is contained in the lemon has anti-inflammatory effects. It is used in addition to treat asthma and other respiratory problems. It also improves the body’s ability to absorb iron.
- It balances the blood pH level. Lemon is one of the most alkalizing foods for the body. He is himself acidic. However in the body, it becomes alkaline. Citric acid does not produce acidity in the body once metabolized. Lemon contains as much citric acid as ascorbic acid. Both are weak acids that are easily metabolized in the body and cause the mineral content of the lemon to alkalize the blood. Pathological conditions occur only when the pH of the body is acidic. Thus, drinking lemon water regularly can be used to eliminate the total acidity of the body, such as uric acid, the excess of which is one of the main causes of painful access and joint inflammation .
- Lemon juice cleans the skin. Lemon juice cleans the face, but it is also very effective at cleansing hands and oily skin. Vitamin C and other antioxidants found in lemons help erase wrinkles and spots, and fight free radicals. Vitamin C is vital for keeping skin healthy and bright. Indeed, its alkaline nature destroys some of the bacteria that cause acne. It can be applied directly to scars or age spots to lighten them. And as lemon water purifies the blood by eliminating toxins. It allows us to have a clear skin by acting from the inside!
- Lemon gives energy and improves morale. The energy a human being derives from food comes from the atoms and molecules of the food. When the positive ions of the food enter the digestive tract and interact with the enzymes charged with positive ions, a reaction occurs. Lemon is part of this small number of foods that are loaded with more negative ions and that, by reaching the digestive tract, give more energy to the body. The aroma of lemon also has energizing faculties that activate the good mood. The smell of lemon juice helps to reduce the level of anxiety and depressive symptoms.
- It serves to heal wounds. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) found in lemon is used to heal wounds. C is an essential nutrient to keep bones healthy, as well as the connective tissue and cartilage. As mentioned earlier, vitamin C also has anti-inflammatory properties. Ultimately, vitamin C is essential for good health, a balanced psychological state and the healing of lesions.
- She refreshes the breath. Lemon, mint, yogurt: excellent allies to fight bad breath! Lemon helps to freshen the breath . It also relieves dental pain and gingivitis. It should be remembered that citric acid can erode tooth enamel. The ideal is to brush your teeth before drinking lemon water or wait for a moment if you brush your teeth after drinking it. Similarly, you can rinse your mouth with purified water after drinking lemon water.
- It moisturizes the lymphatic system. Warm lemon water contributes to the proper functioning of the immune system by moisturizing it and providing the fluids that the body has removed. When the body is deprived of water, the following consequences are felt: tired, torpor, weakening of immune defenses, constipation , lack of energy, blood pressure too high or too low, insomnia, lack of mental clarity, etc
- It helps to lose weight. The slimming properties of lemon are well known and appreciated. It is an excellent detoxifier and anti-inflammatory that also has antioxidant properties thanks to its high content of vitamin C. Lemon is very rich in pectin, which helps to reduce appetite. Several studies have shown that people who follow an alkaline diet tend to lose weight faster!