The ideal way to start a detox programme is to begin with a 24-hour fast, if you feel up to it and are not on any medications. Seek your doctor’s or nutritionist’s advice if you are unsure.
Many experts believe that excessive toxicity of the body creates a whole range of serious illnesses, from osteoarthritis (where toxins settle in the joints), to heart disease, cancer and diabetes. To prevent such illness you need to be in tune with your body, aware of its condition and its needs, and be committed to giving yourself a good, thorough internal spring-clean at least once a year. At that time, also, implement the good eating and exercise habits that will help prevent the build-up of a toxic state again. A spring-clean for the body is an essential part of any preventative system of health care.
The ideal way to detox your body is to begin with a 24-hour fast, if you feel up to it and are not on any medications. Seek your doctor’s or nutritionist’s advice if you are unsure. Choose a day when it is not necessary to be very active – preferably a day when you are not physically challenged. You also need to drink lots of fluid during a fast, as dehydration must never be allowed, but drink only water or hot water and fresh lemon juice. To aid inner cleansing, a very good health habit is to both begin and end the day with a drink of hot water and fresh lemon juice. This has a cleansing effect on the liver and kidneys, as well as the rest of the digestive system.
If intend to carry out a program of detoxing your body, you need to seek an advice from a health care professional skilled in this area. The reason being is that detoxing the body correctly can be very demanding and requires will power and commitment. It is also can result in what we call healing crisis, a situation that can cause some discomfort to those undertaking this program. In this article, I provide some basic guidelines of what to do when detoxing your body.
Basically, you need to spend 28 to 30 days to do the cleansing. This will really have a positive impact on your health. Much of it will be spent eating raw foods. Raw fruit and vegetables are not only the easiest food for the body to digest, and the means of getting the most nutrition from food, but they also have a brilliant cleansing effect on the body. Cooked food is more complicated for the digestive system; uncooked food enhances and strengthens the immune system. Instead of a slow sluggish constitution, the body finds its best level for peak performance.
The high fiber content of fruits and vegetables is excellent for flushing toxic residues out of the body. If you try this approach, you will see an improvement in your overall health, with many minor niggling symptoms disappearing altogether. Whether you suffer from skin rashes, headaches or heart disease, you owe it to yourself to build your body with the right materials.
Try to buy produce that is as fresh as you can get it and buy organic fruit and veg where possible, as they obviously have fewer toxins. A good greengrocer will usually have much fresher fruits and vegetables than the large supermarket chains. The fresher the good, the higher the nutritional value. Fresh herbs are also full of healthful properties, so use them liberally. The ideal, of course, is to grow your own herbs and vegetables, but this is not possible for most of us.
When you do cook your vegetables, remember that many vitamins and minerals are destroyed by the heat in cooking. When we boil vegetables, the nutrients are leached out into the water and poured away down the drain. So, whenever possible, gently steam or stir-fry vegetables for just a few minutes instead, until they are tender – but only just – to preserve their nutritious goodness. Also aim to eat a variety of fruits, salad and other vegetables every day.
Detox action plan
- Begin your detox at the weekend or during a time when you do not have too much going on.
- Walk for at least 15 minutes every day.
- Drink at least 2 liters of water a day – purified, distilled, filtered or bottled. You can also drink dandelion coffee or herb teas.
- Have ½ liter of fruit or vegetable juice – either carrot and apple juice (you can buy these two separately and combine with one-third water) with grated ginger, or fresh watermelon juice – a day. The flesh of the watermelon is high in beta-carotene and vitamin C. The seeds are high in vitamin E, as well as the antioxidant minerals zinc and selenium. You can make a great antioxidant cocktail by blending fresh fruit and seeds in a blender into a great-tasting drink.
- Eat in moderation: Grain – brown rice, corn, millet, and quinoa – not more than two portions per day. Fish – salmon, mackerel, sardines, and tuna – not more than once a day. Oils – use extra-virgin olive oil for cooking and in place of butter, and cold-pressed seed oils for dressings. Nuts and seeds – a handful a day of raw, unsalted nuts and seeds should be included. Choose from almonds, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and flax seeds (linseeds).
- Eat in abundance: Fruit – the most beneficial fruits with the highest deter potential include fresh apricots, all berries, cantaloupe melons, citrus fruits, kiwis, papayas, peaches, mangoes, melons, red grapes. Vegetables – especially good are artichokes, peppers, beetroot, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, red cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, cucumber, kale, pumpkin, spinach, sweet potato, tomatoes, watercress and bean sprouts.
Avoid: All wheat products, all meat and dairy produce (including eggs), salt and any food containing it, hydrogenated (trans) fats, artificial sweeteners, food additives and preservatives, fried foods, spices, dried fruit. Limits potatoes to one portion every other day and bananas to one every other day.
Do not be surprised if you feel worse for a couple of days before you start to feel better. This is the healing crisis I talked about earlier. This is especially likely if you are eliminating foods to which you are dependant.
Use Chlorella at 4 grams a day. Chlorella has been around for millions of years.
Chlorella is a natural green algae found in fresh waters
forming the very basics of life. Chlorella will clean out the colon, liver, lymph, blood, and cells.