In the article we will be exploring home remedies for constipation that have proven to work. But first we need to define what constipation is. Constipation is a condition where there is a slow transit time for waste material to exit the body. In other words the amount of time that toxic waste remains in the bowel is longer where the person suffers from constipation. In the presence of constipation, the fecal matter is so tightly packed together that bowel movements are infrequent and incomplete, causing much difficulty excreting by straining and producing dry, hardened faeces. The accumulation of this old, hardened faeces sticks to the walls of the colon, inhibiting its proper function of absorbing any nutrients and basically slowing the whole body down. This is why most people with a slow bowel experience low energy, headaches, haemorrhoids, irritability and over time, a host of other illnesses..
What causes constipation?
- There are many variables that contribute to constipation. In many cases there are underlying health conditions that lie at the root of it. For example, defects such as the absence of normal nerve endings in portions of the bowel, abnormalities of the spinal cord, thyroid deficiency, irritable bowel syndrome and certain other inherited metabolic disorders often suffer symptoms of constipation. Constipation in children, however, usually is due to poor bowel habits. Other Common causes of constipation are
- Not consuming enough fiber
- lack of adequate physical activity
- Overuse of laxatives
- ignoring the urge to have a bowel movement
- changes in life or routine such as pregnancy, aging, and travel
- specific diseases or conditions, such as stroke (most common)
- problems with the colon and rectum
- problems with intestinal function (chronic idiopathic constipation)
Important Home Remedies for Constipation?
- Home remedies for constipation number one-Colon cleansing for constipation: Using a good colon cleanse is an absolute must if you are going to overcome constipation. Cleaning the colon using a colon cleasnsing product will ensure that your bowels will begin to move regularly again and help get rid of embedded toxins stuck to the colon. Check out the colon cleansing products we have on this site, or enquire from the local food store for recommendations.
- Home remedies for constipation number two-flaxseed: Combined with apple cider vinegar, flaxseed is one of many natural constipation remedies. The reason it works so well is because it has essential fatty acids that help lubricate the colon and encourage proper bowel function.You can make flaxseed tea out of this by boiling two cups of water with two tablespoons of flaxseed for fifteen minutes. When you strain off the flaxseed from the boiled mixture, you have a jelly-like substance, which should be consumed on an empty stomach. A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar can be added to increase the remedy’s potency. This mixture should be taken on a daily basis until you experience regular bowel movements.You can also use flaxseeds in other ways. Place one tablespoon of grounded flaxseed in half a pint of water and drink it twice a day. Another alternative is to eat three or four tablespoons of ground flaxseed daily by mixing it into a smoothie, put some in salads or adding it to sugar free yogurt.
- Home remedies for constipation number three Increase consumption of whole grain. Whole grain is grain that is unrefined. Whole grains are great sources for dietary fiber. You should have 5-10 servings of whole grains each day. This may seem like a lot, but serving sizes are not that large. A sandwich made with 2 slices of whole wheat bread contains 2 servings of whole grains. Good sources of whole grains include oatmeal, whole grain rice, whole grain cereals, and sprouted pasta.
- Home remedies for constipation number four- Deep breathing: In the world of today most of us do not know how to breathe properly. Our breathing is short and shallow. By not taking deep enough breaths we subject our cells of insufficient oxygen and also hamper our bowel movements. To overcome this take 10 minutes a day to sit straight in a chair, close your eyes and breathe deeply into your belly through your nose for a count of 4. Hold 4 and then breathe out through your mouth for a count of 8. This daily deep breathing will help get many of your bodily functions including your bowel, moving again.
Home remedies for constipation number five- Water:. The colon is a primary internal water source. When the body gets too little water, it siphons what it needs from internal sources. The result? Constipation. But when a person drinks enough water… normal bowel function will return. Along with that, alcoholic and caffienated beverages should be avoided. However, water may not be able to do it totally alone. It is best to combine a high Water intake with the other remedies above